I’m Renting a Moving Truck. Do I Need to Buy Their Insurance?

Every time you rent a moving truck, you are faced with the question, “do you want to buy insurance?” The answer to needing insurance or not really depends solely on the size of the vehicle (in addition to what coverage you currently carry, of course) as well as whether or not it is even a vehicle.

The coverage that the rental car company is selling you is collision and comprehensive coverage and, since this vehicle is replacing your existing one temporarily your most standard auto policies will cover the usage of a temporary replacement vehicle usually up to 10,000 GVW. If a vehicle is over this GVW, it would be excluded from coverage. Additionally, if the cab is separated from the bed, this will also create an exclusion from coverage for most auto insurance policies.

Truck rental companies typically offer four types of coverage:

  1. Damage Waiver: covers you in case of damage to the truck. If you do not purchase this coverage, you are responsible for any and all damage to the vehicle, no matter what the cause. If you decide to decline this coverage, you may be responsible to pay the damages to the truck even if they are not your fault. Something to keep in mind is depending on the extent of the repairs, you may be held responsible for loss of use on the vehicle.
  2. Liability Coverage: covers you in case you hit something or someone. Your auto policy may cover this, but please call us in advance before you rent a vehicle to make sure. Each company is different.
  3. Cargo Coverage: Your auto policy will NOT cover any cargo that you are carrying. Period. If you are moving valuables, you may consider this coverage, depending on the values. If you’re moving a mattress or other item that will likely not be damaged, it would probably be wise to save your money, but only you can decide.
  4. Personal Injury Protection: This is a no-fault insurance and can be used anytime you’re involved in a motor vehicle collision, regardless of the motor vehicle you’re traveling in.


With anything, please feel free to call us with questions. This article is meant to be informative, but not a means of advice as every insurance company is a bit different and coverage varies greatly between each carrier. If you have questions about a rental vehicle, please contact our office and speak directly to a licensed agent to ensure that your situation is covered.

If you have questions about your home or renters insurance, call the insurance agents at Mills Insurance Services. They have offices in Los Alamitos and Palm Desert.  Their years of insurance experience can help you insure everything from your home to your auto or motorcycle. They live where you do and are an independent insurance agent, so they can help you find the right company to fit your needs. You can also check out their website, 24/7.





Comments are closed.